Wild Edibles: Chicken of the Woods

A few weeks ago I came across a large edible mushroom called Chicken of the Woods, I’d never seen one before but I’d heard my parents talk about it. Normally I’m a bit leery of eating wild mushrooms, if you misidentify something you can make yourself very sick. That’s the good thing about Chicken of the Woods: there’s no poisonous look alike! Although, some people say varieties that grow on eucalyptus and conifer trees can cause a little tummy upset so you may want to stick with the hardwood trees (I found mine on the root of a dead oak tree). Continue reading